This vegan chocolate chip cookie recipe will become your favorite the first time you bake them.
Cartoon Strip Courtesy of Gorilla Brigade http://www.gorillabrigade.com/
What can be better, a warm chocolate chip cookie to bring back childhood memories. How many people give the history of one of the most iconic American baked goods a second thought? I guess I do so let’s delve into it shall we?
Ruth Wakefield was the accidental inventor of the Chocolate Chip Cookies or so the story goes. She had a bar of some of Nestles chocolate and broke it up in the cookie hoping to flavor it. When the cookie was baked the chocolate didn’t melt and disperse like she had desired and thus the Chocolate Chip Cookie was born.
There is an alternate history though that one should be aware of. This excerpt comes from Wikipedia.
“A different history of the cookie derives from George Boucher, who was at one time head chef at the Toll House Inn, and his daughter, Carol Cavanagh, who also worked there. Contradicting Nestlé’s claim that Wakefield put chunks of chocolate into cookie dough hoping they would melt, the daughter stated that the owner, already an accomplished chef and author of a cookbook, knew enough about the properties of chocolate to realize it would not melt and mix into the batter while baking. Boucher said that the vibrations from a large Hobart electric mixer dislodged bars of Nestlé’s chocolate stored on the shelf above the mixer so they fell into the sugar cookie dough it was mixing, then broke them up and mixed the pieces into it. He claimed to have overcome Wakefield’s impulse to discard the dough as too badly ruined to waste effort baking them, leading to the discovery of the popular combination.”
No matter how the chocolate chip cookie came into existence however doesn’t take away the fact that they continue to be one of our favorite cookies of all time.
This particular recipe comes out of the excellent Vegan Planet Cook Book.
Mom’s Best Chocolate Chip Cookies Only Better
- 2 cups Unbleached All Purpose Flour
- 1 cup Firmly packed Light Brown Sugar
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 cup Pure Maple Syrup
- 1/2 cup Corn Oil
- Egg Replacer for two eggs
- 4 tbsp Water
- 1/2 cup Dark Chocolate Chips
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, mix together flour, salt, and baking soda.
- In a small bowl, mix together egg replacer and water (slightly warmed).
- In a large bowl, mix together brown sugar, oil, maple syrup, vanilla extract, and blended egg replacer. Mix until blended.
- Add half of dry ingredients to wet ingredients until mixed. Add remaining dry ingredients until mixed. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Drop by spoonful onto two greased pans, allowing an inch between each cookie. Bake in pre-heated oven for 15-18 minutes.
When finished, let cool for at least 15 minutes before enjoying.