Mmmm Gingerbread cookies… What could be more yummy during the holiday season? Many times though, the cookies are bulletproofed bakery that are a joy for oral surgeons but for few others.
This recipe changes all of that. Not only do these cookies turn out pillowy soft but they are bursting with mouth watering flavor.
Break out your favorite cookie cutters and give this recipe a try. You and your family will love them.
Squeezably Soft Gingerbread Cookies
- 1 cup earth balance ( or margarine )
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Bob’s Red Mill Egg replacer + 3 Tablespoons of water ( or one egg )
- 1 cup molasses
- 1/3 cup hot water
- 1 teaspoon whole cloves
- 5 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
This dough should be chilled prior to rolling, cutting and baking
- Place cloves in hot water and set aside
- Cream earth balance and sugar
- Beat the Bob’s Red Mill egg replacer and 3 tablespoons of water together ( or use an egg if you’re not vegan )
- Add the beaten egg replacer to the creamed sugar and beat together
- Add molasses and beat together
- Strain cloves from water and keep the water, discard cloves
- Add clove water to and beat together ( The dough will look like it’s breaking don’t worry )
- Set 4 cups of flour aside then dad rest of ingredients, and beat together
- Gradually mix in the 4 cups of flour
- Chill dough
- Preheat oven to 375 Degrees Fahrenheit
- Roll dough out to approximately 1/2 inch thick
- Cut into your favorite shapes
- Place carefully on parchment paper lined cookie sheets
- Bake at 375° for 8-10 minutes
The cookies will still be firm but spongy when they are finished.
Let them cool down and break out the decorations and let your imagination run wild.
If you need an icing recipe I have an excellent one right here Vegan Vanilla Icing (Recipe)