I have used this delicious recipe for a long time now. It is delicious, nutritious and fun to make. Also it looks like traditional egg salad but it is contains no eggs it is raw and vegan. The corresponding dressing is great for salads but also goes well over these wraps. Both recipes I learned from the wonderful team of Danny and Kathy Living from Borrowed Earth Cafe in Downers Grove, Illinois. I spend time in their restaurant when I can as they have really made it feel like home to me.
A hallmark of any good recipe is the ability to be modified to your tastes and situations. This recipe definitely meets that criteria. The water, turmeric, and raw cashews are required but everything else can be modified. The lemon juice can be substituted with lime juice or even apple cider vinegar. Salt is to taste and omit it if you feel the need.
Use this recipe as a base and then modify it to fill your particular need.
The video at the end is a workshop that I did and I made these wraps. Many people have enjoyed these wraps and I hope that you do as well.
No Egg Salad
- 1/2 cup of water
- 1/2 cup of lemon juice (substitute lime juice or apple cider vinegar)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons turmeric
- 2 cloves of peeled garlic
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt (or to taste)
- 1 1/2 cups raw cashews
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions (small rings)
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper ( Or any color bell pepper, red really is pretty though)
- Combine water, lemon juice, turmeric, garlic, sea salt, and cashews in a blender
- Blend until it is smooth and creamy
- In a medium sized mixing bowl combine your cashew cream with the remainder of your ingredients
Enjoy with a wrap or on top of a salad. Let your imagination be your guide. This looks amazing with Boston Bib Lettuce.
Sweet Scallion Dressing
- 1 cup of extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup of apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup of agave nectar
- 3 green onions
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 Tablespoon of ground flax seed (optional)
- Combine everything in the blender and blend like the wind for 1 minute
- Serve with salads or other veggies.
You can also store this dressing in your refrigerator for quite a while. If it starts to separate just give it a good shake before serving.