This Lemongrass cupcake recipe with Ginger Frosting is baked from scratch. Lemongrass with it’s wonderful aroma and delicate flavor is the perfect ingredient for these cupcakes.
Most of the time lemongrass gets used in different Asian dishes to lend a citrus under-note without overwhelming the dish like using citrus fruit might. You can find fresh lemongrass in your local Asian food store.
This recipe does call for a special piece of equipment, a juicer. But fresh is best, right?
Give this recipe a try and let me know how it turns out for you.
Lemongrass Cupcake Recipe with Ginger Frosting
- 3 1/2 cups cake flour
- 1 cup of softened Earth Balance vegan buttery sticks ( you could use margarine but I prefer Earth Balance )
- 2 1/4 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons Bob’s Red Mill Egg Replacer ( if you’re not vegan you could use 3 eggs instead and omit the egg replacer and the 9 tablespoons of water )
- 1 cup + 9 Tablespoons Water
- 1/2 cup freshly juiced lemongrass juice
- 1 tablespoon green food coloring (optional)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
Ginger Frosting Ingredients
- 1 cup Earth Balance vegan buttery sticks
- 3 cups confectioners sugar
- 4 teaspoons freshly juiced ginger root juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit ( 177 degree Celsius )
- grease your cupcake tins or line them with paper (not both)
- In a medium bowl sift the cake flour, salt, and baking soda together then set aside
- In a large bowl, combine the sugar and Earth Balance and cream together until light and fluffy (using an electric hand mixer on medium speed will help)
- In a small bowl combine all of the water, food coloring, lemongrass juice, egg replacer, & apple cider vinegar
- In 3 stages pour a third of the juice mixture and a third of the flour mixture into the creamed sugar and mix well
- Continue in thirds until everything is combined and the batter is smooth
- In the cupcake tins fill each spot approximately 1/2 full
- Bake your cupcakes for 25-35 minutes at 350 Degrees Fahrenheit ( 177 Degrees Celsius ) or until a cake tester (toothpick) inserted in the middle of the cupcake comes out clean
- Let the cupcakes cool completely before frosting them
Ginger Frosting Directions
In a medium bowl combine the earth balance, confectioners sugar, and freshly juiced ginger root juice and beat together until light and fluffy