I don’t often make fried chicken but when I get the taste for it I want it to be crispy, delicious, and juicy inside. This recipe has that and more. I used a unusual ingredient to help with the flavor but it turned out really well.
If you get a chance to make this, please let me know how you like my chicken.
Chef Felisha’s Fried Chicken
Ingredients Fresh chicken pieces. ( I used 6 full thighs )
- 4 egg whites
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup corn starch
- 1 Tablespoon pepper
- 2 Tablespoons salt
- 1 Tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon Ajinomoto – Hon Dashi dried soup stock
- 1 tablespoon thyme
- vegetable oil for frying
- In a spice grinder combine the pepper, salt, paprika, cinnamon, hon dashi, and thyme and grind together
- in a large bowl sift the flour, corn starch, and spice mixture together
- In a 2nd bowl beat together the egg whites until well combined
- Heat oil to a low frying point around 350 degrees Fahrenheit
- coat the chicken pieces with the egg whites then dredge them through the flour mixture
- Add the chicken pieces to the oil and fry for 20 minutes or until the internal temp of the chicken is around 160 degree Fahrenheit
- The skin should be golden brown, if the skin starts to darken turn the temperature down a little
- Don’t overload your frying container, fry in batches
- Pull the chicken out with tongs, drain, and rest on paper towels before serving
- Continue steps 5 – 7 until all of the pieces are fried.